Within a culture of gentleness management has to take care to develop a servant leadership style of care giving and supportive services. This involves putting those served at the center of all management decisions. At times this will require strong advocacy that might contradict and require substantive changes in what government or funders might require. The servant leadership has to take prudent risks and persevere in needed systemic change that includes:
- The need to adopt a “community making” management model,
- Based on companionship and community,
- Stewardship of resources centered on each person’s need for lifespan support and community inclusion, and
- A clear and unequivocal policy statement(s) on the elimination of all forms of punishment, physical management, isolation, seclusion, police intervention, and Tasers, and
- Well trained and supported direct caregivers.